Monday, December 27, 2010

Archive: Reposted Reviews 5

Title: Project Paris
Author: Lisa Barham
Copyright date: July 2007
Publisher: Simon Pulse
How many pages: 224 pgs
How long it took me to read: About 3 hours.. It's got really big text and pictures in some of the margins.. (I feel like I cheated hah)
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: Reading the first book.

This book was purchased at: Barnes and Noble
This book is: silly, short, but unsatisfying
Other books by these authors: A Girl Like Moi: The Fashion Forward Files of Imogene
Favorite characters: Imogene, I guess
When and Where the story takes place: Paris (obviously)
Plot in a nutshell: Imogene goes to Paris to get stories on the Couture Week for the magazine she's interning for. Couture Week gets cancelled, and she finds something brand new to scoop!
Main characters: Imogene and Evie
What I liked best: I can't really pinpoint something, unfortunately.
What I liked least: I really wasn't a fan of the book.. I don't like that I feel like I cheated by reading this, and that I could have been using the time reading this by reading something with more substance.

Overall rating: C. This book was rather flat, incredibly predictable, and kind of confusing. I'd forgotten a lot about what Imogene had gone through in the first book, and Imogene wasn't going to refresh my memory. She spent a lot of time telling the reader she'd 'get to this part' in a minute, and never did. It was like talking to a 14 year old. Not enough description, plot, or substance. I merely read it to see if I was right about all my conclusions. And I was.

Title: Jinx
Author: Meg Cabot
Copyright date: July 2007
Publisher: Harper Teen
How many pages: 262 pgs
How long it took me to read: about 2 breaks at work, and 2 hours at home (so... 3 hours total? Works into about 2 days spread out)
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: being a rabid meg cabot fan

This book was purchased at: Barnes and Noble's website
This book is: a cute little supernatural bit of fluff
Other books by these authors: Princess Diaries series, All American Girl Series, Mediator series, 1800WhereRU series, Queen of Babble Series, Pants on Fire, Avalon High.. etc.. etc...
Favorite characters: Jinx (Jean) of course!
When and Where the story takes place: New York
Plot in a nutshell: Jean (Jinx) moves in with her aunt and uncle's family in New York to get away from something that happened back home in her conservative Iowa home. Things go wrong.
Main characters: Jean/Jinx, Tory, Zach
What I liked best: I liked how randomly it reminded me of the Craft (in a good way)
What I liked least: I've read so many of Meg Cabot's books that it felt a little... predictable. I hate saying that. But I knew what was going to happen.. for the most part. There were a couple of surprises.

Overall rating: This was a good book. I didn't waste my time on it, but it was kind of predictable.. Rated on the scale of how I rate Meg's books, it's better than Pants on Fire, How to Be Popular and All American Girl... but not better than the rest I've read from her (Oh my god she needs to publish the next Queen of Babble before I fall over).

No comments:

Post a Comment