Thursday, January 13, 2011

Review: Jane by April Lindner

Title: Jane
Author: April Lindner
Copyright date: October 2010
Publisher: Poppy
How many pages: n/a (read on Kindle)
How long it took me to read: 3 days
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: I think I heard about it on The Story Siren.

This book was purchased at: Amazon.com (Kindle site) / Christmas gift!
This book is: a modern retelling of Jane Eyre
Other books by this authors: n/a.
Favorite characters: Jane (obviously)
When and Where the story takes place: Nico Rathburn's home, Thornfield Park
Plot in a nutshell: Jane Moore, having dropped out from school after her parents' death, gets a job as a nanny for rock star Nico Rathburn's daughter.
Main characters: Jane, Nico.
What I liked best: I vaguely knew the story of the original Jane Eyre, so reading this was only a slight surprise to me. Jane was an awesome character to read about, and I didn't feel forced into reading about her feelings for Nico.
What I liked least: The problem with knowing what happens is the fact that I hated waiting for it to happen. I knew what happened at the end, but why did she have to futz around in the middle of nowhere Connecticut after leaving Thornfield Park? Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic.

Overall rating: I really liked this story. Perhaps it's a test as to see whether or not I'm the type to read the original classic, or the remakes. Like the difference between Shakespeare retellings. Yet I loved reading Sense and Sensibility? I guess it just depends on the story itself? I give it an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment