Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Title: Other Words for Love
Author: Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
Copyright date: January 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
How many pages: n/a (read on Kindle)
How long it took me to read: 3 days
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: Debut Author Challenge!

This book was purchased at: Amazon.com (Kindle site)
This book is: a kind of coming of age, set in the 80s
Other books by this authors: n/a.
Favorite characters: Ari, Leigh
When and Where the story takes place: New York City, 1980s
Plot in a nutshell: Ari finds herself at a new school, with a new friend, and dealing with her life at home.
Main characters: Ari, Leigh, Summer, Evelyn.
What I liked best: It was nothing like I expected. I'd read two reviews and a plot summary, and they still didn't really do the book justice.
What I liked least: Evelyn was a hateful, selfish bitch of a sister, and everyone seemed to cater to her. She drove me nuts, and she just... ugh. I didn't want to read about her and I was hoping that, when you read that Ari has a crush on Evelyn's husband (no spoiler there, you know by the first chapter) that she sleeps with him and successfully takes him away from that whiny brat.

Overall rating: I really liked this story, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. I thought it was a drama about a girl falling in love with the wrong guy. Then I read another review and thought it was about a girl dealing with AIDs in the 80s. It wasn't that either. I'm going to give it an A because it stood up to what I wanted even though it wasn't anything anyone said it would be. That said, it did drag in parts, and sometimes I just got SO ANGRY with the other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment