Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Archive: Reposted Review 3

Title: Flowers in the Attic
Author: V.C. Andrews
Copyright date: Dec 27, 1979
How many pages: 384
How long it took me to read: 2 days
I learned about this book from: Originally? My mother. When I was 9, my parents were called down to my school to chat about me. I was reading at a college aged level. My parents, not sure what to do with that information (except get me the pet bird I'd always wanted), gave me two books of their own. My father gave me Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King. My mother gave me Flowers in the Attic.

This book was purchased at: amazon.co.uk (I collect different editions of the book)
This book is: trashy, wonderful, everything
Other books by these authors: the rest of the Flowers in the Attic Series, along with many others that were published before and after her death, some written by a ghostwriter.
Favorite characters: Cathy
When and Where the story takes place: Foxworth Hall
Plot in a nutshell: After the death of their beloved father, 4 children are forced to live in a small room attached to an attic in a large mansion, while their mother tries to win back her father's love and get put back into his will

Main characters: Cathy, Chris, Cory and Carrie Dollanganger
What I liked best: There's so much I love about this book. I've read it about 18 times. Once a year since I was 9, and a couple of times more when I wasn't feeling well, or needed to get away from the world. VC Andrews wrote such a story, something that no one would ever believe possible.
What I liked least: Normally, I'd say nothing, but this edition of the book cut out a few parts that my brain had cemented in. It omits a good 4 pages from the first chapter, to the point where I wondered if I imagined them. Upon searching one of my US copies, I found what was lost. I'm not sure why some of those things were omitted, and as I read, I remembered little phrases, little things that were cut as well. It makes me wonder what else I didn't notice that they'd decided to take out.

Overall rating: This is my favorite book in the entire world. I can't help but give it an incredibly high rating. After reading it so many times, I'm still not bored with it. I was able to pick it up easily and re-read it just as fast as ever, and immerse myself in the story. Nostalgia didn't make the book better than it was; it was still just as grand. A lot of people dismiss this novel as trash, a gothic piece of garbage, or a guilty pleasure. This book is what made me fall headfirst into the adult reading world, and what made me want to be a writer.

1 comment:

  1. I discovered this book when I was 12, oh so long ago. I read it over and over again and from age 12-14, I devoured many books by V.C. Andrews. Now some (many) years later, this is the only Andrews title that remains on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete